Here are the most recommended MSW programs in Utah.
Are you seeking the right school to get an MSW? Utah is an option worth exploring. The province is known for having a few universities that produce well-educated MSW fellows.
If you attend one of their academic institutions, you will learn from the grassroots to the advanced level of social work. After graduation, you can work in a range of settings.
Masters of Social Work Programs Utah
Is that what you came for? By reading this article, you are guaranteed to learn a lot.
We will discuss the types of MSW entries, the courses available, the duration of studies, admission standards, and many more.
Form of Entry
There’re two types of entrance for MSW scholars in Utah. They’re traditional and advanced standing entry. Each of these entry modes has its distinct objective.
The traditional standing pathway is designed for academics with no training or expertise in social work. Therefore, the syllabus contains core courses.
They are designed to teach scholars the basics of social work.
The advanced standing study is for scholars with education and experience in social work. Consequently, its syllabus doesn’t include introductory courses. Only domains of interest are available for researchers.
You are to choose one of interest toward the end of your studies and build your career.
MSW Study Term
How long you stay in school depends on the type of entry method you select and whether you are a part-time or full-time student.
Nevertheless, the traditional standing study takes longer than advanced standing studies. That’s because it features numerous courses.
Scholars who enroll in traditional studies full-time can graduate within two years. But part-time students should be prepared to spend about 3 or 4 years.
Advanced standing study is the quickest way to get an MSW certificate. Those who enroll in this type of education can obtain their MSW within the year.
Whereas part-time researchers will need two years to complete.
Basic MSW Courses In Utah
The MSW syllabus in Utah includes many magnificent courses.
Some of them are introductory courses, while others domains are for specialization. As you intend to study at one of the universities in Utah, you may encounter some of the methods listed below.
- Child, family, school social work
- Introduction to social work
- Health and mental health
- Social welfare and policy
- Clinical social work
Candidates Entry Demands
Before you are offered admission to study MSW in Utah, there are specific requirements that you have to meet. Just below, we listed a few of these essential elements.
- Scholars who want to register for advanced standing studies must submit a BSW. This credential must be obtained from a CSWE-approved institution for no more than five years. Meanwhile, those interested in the traditional standing study may present any undergrad certificate. But it must also come from a recognized institution.
- It would help if you held an overall average of at least 3.0 to qualify for both entry modes.
- Scholars must submit a minimum of three letters of reference. These letters must be obtained from a pre-existing school or employer.
- In some universities in Utah, applicants will be required to provide their transcripts.
- If you want more details on the basics of entry for scholars, please visit the official website of your desired institution.
Is There An Option For Joint Degrees?
Some universities in Utah offer MSW scholars the possibility of a double degree.
However, the second level should be linked to an MSW. Take, for instance, MSW/MPA, MSW/JD, MSWW /MPH, and lots more. Let’s talk briefly about some of these joint degrees to understand better.
This double degree allows scholars to develop social work and public administration skills. Those who opt for this study will have a clinical background and administration.
However, before you get the two certifications, you will need to satisfy some essential course elements. First of all, you have to complete about 51 credit hours for MSW and 30 hours of credit for MPA.
Secondly, you should complete both degrees at once. Conferences for MSW studies are held in the afternoon, while MPAs are stored in the evening.
For those interested in social work and law, MSW/JD is okay with you. The education endows scholars with competence in social work and law.
Obtaining this double degree in Utah will take approximately four to five years. But before that, you need to satisfy specific course essentials.
Scholars are required to complete 60 credit hours for MSW and 88 credit hours of credit for law. That gives us 124 hours of credit. Before you graduate, you also must take part in field placements for both MSW and law.
Stages To Be A Social Worker In Utah
Although most employers accept social workers with an undergrad certificate, it is best if you hold an MSW. You’re more likely to get a job if you have advanced training in social work.
You can even work in a clinical setting with a government permit. Follow these steps to help you become a social worker in Utah.
- Obtain an MSW from an accredited establishment. We refer to schools with MSW studies approved by CSWE.
- Write the ASWB Master’s Examination, which consists of 170 questions. Please note that you will also have to pay $230.
- Once the test is passed, you must apply for a CSW permit from the State. The permit is issued by the “Board of Social Work Examiner’s Website.” You may submit your request online or by email.
- A criminal review will determine if you have a previous conviction. If you are found clean, you will be provided with a license. With this title, you can practice your social work in Utah freely.
Meanwhile, if you want to practice unsupervised, you’ll require to obtain an LCSW. Before acquiring this certificate, you must complete a minimum of 4000 hours of supervised experience.
We’ve heard enough for today; let us leave the rest for another time. Out of everything discussed, you can see what MSW study in Utah is all about.
If you would like to learn more about MSW studies in Utah, please visit the university’s official website of your choice. You can know more about their application programs and procedures—best of luck.
MSW in the Nearby States: